The future cannot arrive in one day, and so no one can accurately predict what the future holds. But being naturally curious and willfully determined, the human nature will stop at nothing to steer the direction humanity heads towards. An emerging group of new age believers in the power of science and technology, who call themselves transhumanists, is proposing a future of extraordinary minds, transcendent experiences and immortal beings. Here are some key indicators of a transhuman world in the near future.
- Implants and prosthetics are already here with us. Voluntary amputations, bionic limbs, optic implants, cochlear, etc. will seem attractive as people with these will no longer be considered disabled or challenged.
- Aging will be treated as a disease. Transhumans will seek alternatives to live longer, and enjoy healthier lives whether through genetic engineering or nanotechnology. When most humans will start living past the age of 120 then the era of transhumanism will have descended.
- Augmented reality (AR) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) will be intertwined with the way humans behave and interact. AR and AI will evolve our mode of socialization and thinking.
- Human cognition could be improved in three main ways; prosthetic cyber-brains or neuro-implants, genetic engineering or cognitive enhancing drugs. All of these will enhance the capacity of our brains.
- Rights will be shifted towards the view of persons and not people. This is already being seen, for example, with the debate to legalize gay marriages in most parts of the world.
- Emphasis will be more on somatic rights such that everyone will be in charge of and responsible for their own bodies. The decision to make cybernetic modifications on one’s body, prosthetic augmentation, etc. will be based on an individual’s decision and availability of technology.
- As transhumans, responsible reproduction will be emphasized as opposed to biological procreation. People will make the decision to procreate and there will be legal abortions for accidental pregnancies. Moreover, assisted reproductive technologies, (ARTs), synthetic wombs, health screening, genetic modifications, etc. will produce more empowered, happier children.