Automation is a vastly used term in the present era. From offices to industries or from cafes to shops, we can experience automation everywhere. Is automation a boon or it is a curse? What’s good and what’s bad in using automation? Let’s have a look.
Advantages of an automation system :
- No more hard physical works – Automation replaces hard physical efforts by human and make it easier to operate.
- No more dangerous and unsafe work – Some automation technologies replace humans from dangerous works that could lead to fatality.
- Heavy works are made easier – Automation is making huge or heavy works a lot easier when the works are beyond the reach of men e.g. loading/unloading with crane.
- Faster production and cost – Automation makes the production speed of a product faster with minimum labor engagement. Thus it makes the per product cost much cheaper.
- Economic improvement – Automation leads to economic growth and improvement to any industry as well as the society.
Disadvantages of an automation system:
- Limitation of technology – Every technology has its limit. Thus, there are many jobs that can’t be done by automations. Human manipulation is the only option for those jobs.
- Limitation of economy – Some jobs are more suitable for humans than automation. Automation is best suited for the repeated and consistent jobs with high volume.
- Unpredictability of cost – The automation cost for an industry is unpredictable. Only after making a sector automated, it can be judged if it was a good decision or not.
- Initial cost involvement – The initial cost for adapting automated systems in an industry is huge compared to manual systems.
- High maintenance –A skilled team is always required for maintenance and handling any emergency situation.
Although there are many disadvantages, automation still is a boon to us. Using automation with proper techniques and planning will make an industry or a society much better.